About the show
13-16 September 2018 / Tenby, Pembrokeshire
NATIONAL THEATRE WALES
Written by Louise Wallwein
Directed by Kully Thiarai
Designed by Camilla Clarke
Composer: John Hardy Music
Sound Designer: Mike Beer
Emerging Director: Nia Morris
An immersive experience written by poet and playwright Louise Wallwein, Tide Whisperer will tackle the global phenomenon of displacement and mass movement. Record numbers are on the move all over the world. What is it like to leave your home, and to live with the uncertainty of ever finding another?
The Tide Whisperer is full of stories, forever a nomad, having travelled the oceans and been carried by the tide to fresh new shores.
On the shores of Tenby, the people gather. The tide is turning fast and a storm is coming. The future feels uncertain – humanity is on the move and seeking refuge. Will we be met by kindness or rejection; offered sanctuary or forced to survive the perilous, treacherous sea?
Click here to book online, or call the box office on 029 2037 1689.
Please Note: Wheelchair spaces are unavailable to book online – please call the box office on 029 2037 1689 to book
What to Expect
Tide Whisperer is a unique, theatrical experience that unfolds on the streets and shores of Tenby, in Pembrokeshire.
On the day of the performance, please make your way to:
De Valence Pavilion
Upper Frog Street
- Each performance will begin at 6.30pm and last approximately 3 hours. Please arrive at the venue at least 15 minutes prior to the performance.
- The doors to the Pavilion will open 30 minutes prior to the performance to allow collection of pre-booked tickets. There will also be the opportunity to purchase any unsold tickets for that day’s performance, and NTW staff will be on hand to answer any questions you may have.
- The Pavilion is wheelchair accessible and there are washrooms on-site.
- As you collect or show your tickets, NTW staff will assign you and everyone in your party to a particular group. Once the performance begins, the audience will be dispersed and travel from De Valence Pavilion around Tenby. You will be guided at all times by NTW staff.
- Once you have left the Pavilion, each group will experience their own narratives and stories, and will meet a series of different characters in a particular order as part of the performance.
- Please note that the performance will be almost 3 hours long in total, and requires you to be able to walk a distance of approximately 1 mile. Some of this will be uphill.
- At key performance moments, NTW can provide a limited number of folding chairs for those unable to stand for lengthy periods, but the majority of the performance will be experienced on foot/standing.
- Please also note that some of the audience groups will experience part of the performance on boats. When NTW staff are assigning groups prior to the performance starting, you will be asked if you are happy to make a boat trip. If not, you will be assigned to a different group.
- The allocation of audience members to groups will be at random on the day, so it is not possible to select which route you will experience in advance. This random selection is in keeping with the themes and content of the performance.
- Tide Whisperer is wheelchair accessible, but please do let us know when you are booking your tickets if you are a wheelchair user, as there are a limited number of wheelchair spaces available per performance. It also will ensure that you and a companion (if you are attending with one) receive the correct ticket discount and it will help NTW to make sure that you have the best possible audience experience.
- We are currently booking BSL-interpreted performances and will confirm these very soon.
- If you have any other access needs or questions please, contact us by email: email@example.com or call the NTW office: 0292 035 3070.
- Please be aware that the majority of Tide Whisperer will take place outdoors, on the streets and beaches of Tenby, so please check the weather forecast on the day of the performance and dress appropriately. Please also be prepared for the possibility of the weather changing during the performance, something that is not unknown in Wales.
- Due to the themes, content and duration of the show, there is a suggested age guidance of 11+. Please contact us if you have questions about this, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will keep these notes updated, and if you book your tickets in advance, you will receive a recap of these by email a week before your chosen performance.
We look forward to seeing you at Tide Whisperer this September.
Year of the Sea
This project has received funding via the Tourism Product Innovation Fund (TPIF) supported through the Welsh Government Rural Communities – Rural Development Programme 2014-2020, which is funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and the Welsh Government, the Fund aims to encourage new innovative product ideas working in partnership which will have a greater impact and attract more visitors.