6 November 2020
Six up-and-coming writers have been shortlisted for Wales Writer in Residence 2020 with the winner set to be announced on Sunday 6 December.
The prestigious scheme is an unique opportunity for writers to develop with an exclusive package of support that includes two bespoke placements and a bursary to assist their year-long placement as Wales Writer in Residence.
In addition they’ll be commissioned to write an original audio drama for BBC Radio 4, guaranteeing them a BBC broadcast credit.
The shortlisted writers are:
- Brennig Hayden – a writer from Bridgend. This summer, he had his first screenplay optioned by an L.A. based studio, a low budget horror movie that will hopefully be made next year. Brennig’s ultimate aim is to create work that reflects the lives of the working-class people he grew up with, and to have their stories told in film, TV, theatre and radio.
- Faebian Averies – an actor/writer from Penarth who began writing in 2018. Faebian’s writing highlights include writing for podcast, creating sketches and having work commissioned by BBC Wales. She is committed to making and performing work that brings a smile to your face but may also give you a new perspective.
- Greg Glover – a writer from Newport who in 2018/19 was one of the BBC Writersroom Welsh Voices. He has had numerous plays staged and won the Chippy and Scratch Best Playwright Award. Outside of writing and teaching he is extremely interested in disability-rights as well as trying to help disadvantaged young people access careers in the media.
- Katie Elin-Salt – Katie is from Bridgend and started her creative career as a proud member of Bridgend Youth Theatre, working professionally as an actor since graduating from RWCMD in 2010. Her debut play “Sprinkles” is currently under development with Dirty Protest. In her spare time Katie is a co-host of creative podcast The 98% and an ambassador for two Welsh charities
- Cameron Loxdale – a comedy writer from Swansea. He has written on several BBC radio shows including The News Quiz, Newsjack and Breaking The News. Cameron is currently working on developing a TV comedy script which was recently optioned by a production company. He is interested in writing exciting comedy and drama for television, theatre and radio.
- Neil Williams – Neil has been writing for most of his life and has created and developed a wide range of material that encompasses comedy, drama, thriller, horror and children’s television. He won the It’s My Shout ‘best film’ award, was networked on ITV Wales and selected for the Best Short Drama category at the Celtic Film and Media Festival. His feature debut REACHING HIGHER received a BAFTA Cymru premiere and was networked on BBC2 Wales.
The winner will be announced on air in a BBC Radio Wales Arts Show Special on Sunday 6 December 2020 at 6pm, which will include performed extracts othe shortlisted writer’s work, along with interviews plus a chance to hear thoughts directly from the judges.
The judges this year are Artistic Director of National Theatre Wales Lorne Campbell, Development Executive for BBC Studios Jenna Robins, BBC Radio 4 Drama Commissioner Alison Hindell, BBC Writersroom Wales Development Producer Helen Perry and special guest judge actor Rakie Ayola.
BBC Writersroom Wales Development Producer Helen Perry said; “Wales Writer in Residence 2020 has uncovered a joyous amount of talent, in what’s been somewhat of a gloomy year. The reading process revealed brand new emerging writers and also the extraordinary progress made by writers already known to us. We’re so excited about the amount of talent in this shortlist. We’re very much look forward to working with all of them, not least the winner of Wales Writer in Residence 2020.”
Lorne Campbell, Artistic Director of National Theatre Wales said; “It’s been a pleasure to be flooded with talent and ideas through this process, and incredibly difficult to narrow the field to this exceptional shortlist. Each writer has brought authenticity and originality, and I’ve loved diving into their worlds. We’re massively excited to welcome one of these artists into the company next year, and to work with many more of them in the future. Thank you to every writer who shared something of themselves with us by entering.”
For more information about the shortlisted writers, click here.